The name of this fort was first known as Kella Aurangabad. The design of this citadel was made by Shah Azam, the 3rd son of the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb. He started the construction of the fort as subdue of Dhaka's subadar in 1678 AD. Just a year later, before the end of the construction of the fort, Emperor Aurangzeb sent him to Delhi to suppress the Maratha insurgency. After the construction of a mosque and durbar hall, the construction of the fort was stopped. Nawab Shaista Khan came to Dhaka in 1680 and started the construction of the fort again. After the death of Pari Bibi, the daughter of Shashita Khan, this fort was considered to be damned and Shaista Khan stopped its construction in 1684 AD. The marriage of Shahjada Azam Shah with Eli Bibi was decided. Pari Bibi is buried in the middle of the court hall and the mosque. Shaista Khan ran his government sitting in the court. When Shaista Khan retired in 1688, Agra was granted the inheritance of the fort to the heirs. After Shaista Khan left Dhaka, the Lalbagh fort was reduced due to various reasons. In 1844, an semi-government initiative named Dhaka Committee started its construction work again. At this time, the fort was known as Lalbagh Fort. In 1910, the Lalbagh Fort was brought under auspices of Department of Archeology as a conserved architectural site. Finally 300 years later, Lalbagh Fort was restored the earliest designand opened to the visitors. Paribibi's grave is quite remarkable. This is an excellent example of the Mughal architecture.